Mission & Vision
The State of Qatar Chair in Middle Eastern Studies at Peking University (the Chair) was established during the visit of H.H. Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani Emir of the State of Qatar in November 2014.
The agreement of the Chair was signed on June 29th 2016, between Peking University (PKU) and the State of Qatar, acting through Qatar University (QU), and the Chair will be linked with the School of Foreign Languages at PKU and the College of Arts and Sciences at QU.
In December 2017, Peking University confirmed the appointment of Dr. WU Bingbing as the Chair Professor and establishment of the Chair Program Committee consisting of Professor NING Qi, Dean of School of Foreign Languages, Peking University, Professor FU Zhiming, Vice Dean of School of Foreign Languages, Professor LIN Fengmin, Director of the Department of Arabic Language and Culture, and the Chair Professor WU Bingbing.
· To provide practical support to the study of the Middle East worldwide.
· To promote the advancement of mutual understanding and respectful dialogue among cultures that will promote goodwill, cooperation and peace.
· To commemorate the spirit of goodwill and partnership between Qatar and China, and to promote the development of knowledge and understanding of the Middle East, its people and heritage in China.
· To promote research activities on language, literature and culture, religion, history, politics, economics and international relations as related to the Middle East.
· To promote research collaboration among international academic institutions and research centers to address the many and varied aspects of the Middle East region.